Monday, September 13, 2010

Visual Display - The "Drool" Factor...

Visual Display....what comes to mind? A store window filled with the latest fashions that you know would look just fabulous on you? A bakery showcasing trays dripping with sweet delicacies that are calling out to you?  Doesn't the display in a storefront window make you want to walk into... or totally avoid a shop?

When I shop, I look at the displays and try to figure out what speaks to me.

The first thing that grabbed me about windows I liked was my interest in the content....clothes...yes....food...OH YES.....shoes and pocketbooks....LET ME IN THERE!!!  Not every shop will appeal to everyone and I guess that is the point.  Interest in what the store is selling is key.   But there are dozens of stores along the block with the same type of items,  yet I only stop into several.  So why some and not others?  I like displays that are bright, clean, eye catching (a little bling helps) and set up so I can see most things at first glance.  I like displays that have interesting groupings, patterns, heights.  I also like the "surprise" element and the "drool" factor.

 

While riding on a bus in London, this window caught my eye.   Fashion, lights, a little sparkle...I loved the effect.  If I wasn't on a bus, I would have been shopping!

London Shop

This display in Manhattan, made me want to run for the hills. 



  


 Its dark, scary and felt like walking in would mean the start of my worst nightmare! (My apologies to the shop owner and anyone who is into the dark side!)  That is why different shops appeal to different people. BUT, it did catch my eye and that is the purpose of good visual display.  However...no clothes...no food...no shoes.....NO ROSANNE!










Sicilian Pottery



This next display I love. The colors alone make you want to give this shop a second and third glance. Bright colors, interesting grouping of  pottery...its a happy display!












This display does nothing for me.  The suitcases are brightly colored, but they are just stuck in the window without regard to placement. Boring. No visual interest and no surprise.






Mouth watering goodies - complete with a bottle of Pistacchio liquor - yum!



 Now, the food....in Sicily....I DARE anyone to walk past a display with food! This shop had the “drool factor”! If a small display in the window gets your mouth to water, the inside will make you slobber like a dog waiting for its dinner! Food in Sicily....the only thing better, is the Italian shoe store next to it. I'm in heaven!!



Shop at the Chelsea Market



 A Manhattan cheese shop also has a big "drool factor"!










Not what it looks like!
 This picture on the left has the "surprise" element I was talking about.  It's visual,  but it's not the usual storefront display.  The shop from the front looks like a church, but the crystal chandelier poking out from the doorway just didn't feel "religious".  There were no signs, but that open doorway invites you to "take a look".  Well, SURPRISE!  Instead of seeing an alter and pews, inside were a bunch of small shops selling clothing, cosmetics, handbags....a multitude of items just waiting for someone to take them home!  That chandelier is an excellent example of good visual display.  It caught my eye, it caught my interest and pulled me in!




 The next time you find yourself with your nose pressed against a window, ask yourself why this display appeals to you.  If you find yourself drooling,  please go inside.   But wipe off the window first! 

I would love to have my readers comment about what they like in visual displays.  Let's compare notes!



"A visual image is a simple thing,  a picture that enters the eyes."
 
Roy H. Williams 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, much appreciate the time you took to write this

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any and all comments!