Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Road Trip!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick of winter, sick of shoveling, and sick of looking at nothing but white!!  So what's a girl to do??  Grab a girlfriend and head down to New York City for the New York International Gift Fair!   The semi-annual event open to designers and retailers, features vendors from all over the globe showcasing their goods.   Yvonne Blacker, my fellow design blogger and traveling companion (remember the Nate Show??)  hopped a bus with me for two full days of furniture, accessories, texture and design inspiration!  Just what I needed to get my creative juices flowing!!

The displays were fabulous!  Even though the Pantone Color of the Year is Honeysuckle (a bright, dark pink), we saw lots of grey and dusky lavender.

Oly

This display from Oly (www.olystudio.com) consisted of a great mix of traditional and contemporary accessories.  Sleek white sofa contrasted with the thick wood of the chandelier...traditionally carved cabinet and the ultra-chic sunburst mirror. And, of course, the requisite animal print pillow!  Animal prints are big this year!  Giraffe, zebra, and cheetah abound in their natural coloration and dyed counterparts.  (Teal blue zebra, anyone??)



How about this sofa with the cut out back?  More like two lounging chaise chairs put together!  Interesting and artistic!



And for those with a real sense of whimsey and nostalgia, how about a Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn chair from Camilla House Imports?  www.camillahouse.com

Rounding the corner, we came upon Boston favorites Stacy Kunstel and her partner Michael Partenio of Dunes and Duchess www.dunesandduchess.com showing off one of their wonderful candelabras.  Stacy is also the Homes Editor of New England Home magazine.  Check out their website for romantic tales of  design!

Stacy Kunstel and Michael Partenio


We were supposed to be at the NYIGF scoping out new products for our design business, but we somehow got sidetracked in the more "gift-y" sections too!   Caron Miller (www.caronmiller.com) had these adorable fur cuffs that you can slide onto the arm of your coat or sweater and voila! instant elegance or faux fur fun!! (Had to buy some!)  They also had cuffs for your boots too!  Transforms your basic boots into a fun fashion statement!  Then we came upon MagneHealth Inc. (www.magnetrim.com).  They were showing their selection of magnetic bracelets and rings that are supposed to work on pressure points to help suppress appetite and help with arthritis pain.   Since I like to eat (sometimes too much!) and I have arthritis in my hands, I had to buy some of these too,  if only to test them out to see if the claims are true!   ( Of course, the fact that the black and crystal beads are absolutely stunning, had nothing to do with it!!).   Hey, I was in Manhattan for two full days and didn't buy any pocketbooks or shoes....my will power had to give out sometime!

Weary and overwhelmed from traveling and shopping, we headed to my friend Tina's lovely garden apartment in Chelsea.  (Thanks T for your gracious hospitality!)   A quick walk around the corner brought us to The Cuba Cafe and their extremely delicious mango mojitos and chicken empanadas.   My "teen-hood"  friend,  Annie,  joined us to make our night complete!  Stay tuned for Day Two and more fabulous finds!

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping."  ~Bo Derek

3 comments:

  1. I love your glamorous shots! It was so much fun! Thanks for introducing me to the NYIGF. A "must do" from now on : ) I have included your post on my blog along with a list of other photo tours of the show. Enjoy! xo Yvonne

    http://designvignettes.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-i-loved-at-nyigf.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did the Magnatrim work out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little skeptical at first, but they actually do work! My hands don't hurt as much when I wear them! And they are very stylish too!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any and all comments!